I wanted to show off some of my latest doll work. It’s not anything fancy or original, but I’m proud nonetheless and wanted to show my process.
I live in an apartment, and some of the neighborhood girls, seeing my dolls through the window, like visiting to talk about Monster High. A month or so ago, one of the girls told me she had a doll with a broken leg, and I said if she brought it over, I’d take a look and see if I could fix it.
The doll was a Ghouls Rule Clawdeen, and I assessed the damage. Her leg was broken at the knee, the peg that attached the lower leg had snapped apart. I also noticed that the flocking on both sides of her mohawk was worn almost completely off, and she had some paint from her lips rubbed off. Finally, she had no lower arms or hands.
I told the girl I’d see what I could do, and I let her borrow one of my lesser used Clawdeens (from the sisters two-pack) while I was keeping her.
The first struggle was dealing with the leg. Before I could fix anything, that peg had to be removed. I was lucky that the upper leg was already splitting a bit near the knee. My husband was able to pry it apart right at the seam, leaving half the upper leg attached. I removed the broken peg, and set to find a new lower leg.
I originally thought it would be easy to just replace the leg with a Create-A-Monster leg. I had a bunch of them I didn’t use. But no, the CAM legs are made differently, because they are meant to be taken apart and put back together easily. I needed a character doll leg. I had an old, second-hand Skull Shores Ghoulia that had been sitting around as mod bait for a long time. I figured if Clawdeen’s leg popped open so easily, it shouldn’t be too hard to take apart her leg the same.
Ha ha, no. With no starting splits, Ghoulia’s leg was much harder to crack, and we eventually ended up accidentally destroying her upper leg. But the lower leg was not damaged so we had the piece we needed!
Since the gray skintone wasn’t going to match Clawdeen’s, I thought I’d decorate it with a leopard print to match her makeup. I just used acrylic paint to draw some crescent and open circles. Then I sprayed it with sealant.
I wanted to replace the flocking on her head using some velvet-ish fabric from a cheap purse I found at a dollar store. It matched her hair color so well, I thought it would be perfect! But as I made the pattern and cut out the pieces, I changed my mind. This doll wasn’t going to belong to me - it wasn’t going to have a life of sitting on a shelf and getting pictures taken. It belonged to an elementary school girl and was going to live a life of play. If I attached this new flocking, it would only be rubbed away again and make a mess. I decided to paint over the old flocking instead.
I washed and dried the doll’s head, then set to work painting. After a coat of lavender, I drew more leopard print half-circles with black. Then I painted over the lips with a shimmery metallic lavender to give her some brighter lipstick. I had to repaint her fangs afterward as well.
So finally all that was left was to attach the leg. I applied a drop of Krazy Glue in each of the peg holes on the half of the upper leg still attached to the doll. I also ran a thin line of glue around the inside edge. I pressed the sides together (with the new bottom leg in place) and held them together. Then I ran a line of glue around the outside seam. I made extra sure to apply it into the areas that didn’t QUITE match up due to splitting the leg - mainly right above the knee and around the bottom of the butt. I wiped away the excess, and when it was fully dry, I sanded the seams gently to smooth them out.
I just attached Ghoulia’s lower arms/hands. They snapped right in place.
In the end, the re-attached leg was much looser than the other leg - it could easily rotate without much pressure. But the doll was now intact and ready to be played with.
The girl was so happy to get the doll back and luved her new lipstick and hair, so I’m proud of the job I did. :D